How Does Teeth Whitening Work in a Dental Office?
Do you want whiter teeth? A bright white smile can improve your appearance and increase your confidence. Teeth gradually develop a yellow tint over time due to a variety of reasons from the foods and beverages you consume to the natural aging process. Orthodontic treatment can cause teeth to develop stains and uneven coloring.
What’s the best way to whiten your teeth? How does teeth whitening work in a dental office? Here’s what you need to know.
What is Professional Teeth Whitening?
Professional teeth whitening refers to whitening treatments provided by your dentist, orthodontist, or other dental specialist. These are essentially prescription strength whitening treatments because they contain stronger ingredients than the whitening products you can buy in the store.
The Teeth Whitening Process
In-office teeth whitening treatment is applied in one appointment. A rubber shield or a protective gel is applied to your gums to protect them from irritation from the whitening agent. The whitening treatment is applied to the teeth and activated using a special light that accelerates the whitening process. Once your teeth have reached the desired shade, your treatment is complete.
Benefits of Professional Teeth Whitening Treatment
Professional teeth whitening treatment provided by a dental office offers many benefits over store bought products:
- Natural appearance. Professional in-office treatment is carefully controlled to achieve the exact shade of white you want for your teeth for a natural look.
- Safe on tooth enamel. The active ingredient in professional teeth whitening is safe on tooth enamel and reduces the risk of sensitivity.
- No soft tissue irritation. In-office treatments include protection for your gums to prevent irritation to the soft tissues of your mouth.
- Effective results. Professional teeth whitening offers dramatic results that are shades whiter than the results of store bought whitening products.
- Longer lasting results. The results of professional teeth whitening can last anywhere from 1-3 years, which is significantly longer than the results of store bought products, but it does heavily rely on your staining habits.
- Save money. Although professional whitening products are priced higher than the whitening products found in stores, the effectiveness and longevity of your results prevent you from having to purchase more store products, which saves you money.
- Fast results. In-office whitening provides results in a single treatment, saving you the time you would have spent at home applying store bought whitening products.
Why Do You Need Whitening After Orthodontic Treatment?
Sometimes orthodontic treatment, such as braces that remain on your teeth for up to 3 years, can cause discoloration and uneven staining of the teeth. The foods and beverages you consume may stain your teeth so that when your braces are removed, there is a noticeable difference in the shade of your teeth in the location of the brackets.
Another reason teeth may need to be whitened after orthodontic treatment is that it is common for plaque to build up on the teeth around braces. It is more difficult to brush and floss with braces, which often means that teeth become stained.
Once your braces are removed you’ll have a new and improved smile. Whitening treatment can make it look even better so that you’re proud to show off your dazzling smile.
Embrace Orthodontics Provides Teeth Whitening Treatment
If your teeth are looking dull or stained after orthodontic treatment, Embrace Orthodontics provides teeth whitening treatment that can remove stains and brighten your smile. Our goal is to give you a better looking smile in every way possible, and whiter teeth are a positive addition to your straightened smile.